There
is no doubt that my updates had been sparse lately, and I have heard plenty of
friendly nudges (perhaps not as many as I imagined, ha) to put something up
more often. The truth is, a lot has happened in the past few weeks: I have now
moved on to the buy-side, moved to a new apartment, made new friends, and, god
forbid, started a long-overdue FT subscription. I am reading 10x more research
now more than before, working 30% more hours, and am enjoying every second of
it. Fortunately, this blog may continue; and unfortunately, for you, my dear
readers, might have to put up with my babbling for just a bit longer.
Bob Evans (BOBE): I had been quite
vocal about BOBE in the past. Bob Evans is an operator of ~580 restaurants
around Central America that had been around since 1946. It happens to own >
80% of its real estate and derive ~20-25% of its EBITDA from its packaged/frozen
food division. 7-8x EBITDA for this mid-western restaurant business is not very
cheap, but I liked it a few months back given the somewhat compelling thesis
pitched by Sandell Capital Management (See deck on SEC.gov). Their thesis can
be summed up as:
- Sell
all or part of its real estate, pointing to ~$900 mm in value and indicate that
it has already attracted 5 unsolicited bids. ARCP comes to mind.
-
Evaluate strategic initiatives for its BEF packaged food division. Given HSH's
recent 13-14x bid, BOBE's 8x bid provides interesting multiples expansion
opportunity.
-
Evaluate its cost structured to bring SG&A in-line w/ industry peers.
Sandell points to as much as 500 bp of sales in cost ot be shed.
- CapEx
normalization from 10% of sales to 3-4% of sales.
By my
math math, assuming BEF Food does not get sold, if BOBE can simply (1) improve
sales to $1.4-1.5 Bn, (2) Lower COGS % form 33-34% to ~31-32% similar to
historical, (3) sell 50% of real estate for $450 mm, buy back 9 mm shares, and
keep D&A+Rent in-line, (4) cut SG&A cost by 200-250 bp, and (5) lower
CapEx spend to ~$50-60 mm per annum, it is set to generate $100 mm of
levered-FCF on the basis of ~14-15 mm shares, or $6.5-7.0 / share. Assuming 10%
l-fcf yield, BOBE should be trading at $65-70 / share with significant
improvement of ROIC from ~7-8% current to 25%+.
This
thesis is predicated on Sandell winning enough seats at the Aug 20 annual
meeting to drive rapid change before management dumps more good money after
bad. Unfortunately (1) Steve Davis, the incumbent CEO, is still on the board
and (2) Sandell only got 4 seats vs. at least 6, additional convincing is
needed to swing the 2-3 board members on the fence. I feel like the time-line
will be drawn out, and BOBE will continue to destroy or stall value at the
interim -- thus I got out. I also feel that neither ISS nor Glass Lewis
recognize the urgency of change, nor does Sandell seem to have enough swing to
awake the incumbent indexing mutual funds or rally other activist funds, making
the change even more difficult. It’s now a long, painful grind for these guys…Luckily
I actually made a few percent since I bought low enough, and I am not beating
myself up too badly because I think my process worked – it’s just that the
event path played out in the opposite direction, at least I know how I lost.
As a
disclosure, the story could still work and you probably make some money buying
here, but it’s still a 7-8x business levering up w/ monetization no where close
to completion and facing problems.
Sandell April 2014 Presentation: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/33769/000090266414002215/0000902664-14-002215-index.htm
Sandell April 2014 Presentation: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/33769/000090266414002215/0000902664-14-002215-index.htm
BBX Capital / BFCF: Both names I meant to
do more work on for the longest time but never got to. I like it quite a bit
after doing some work and think I can reasonably make 50-100% on this within
the next 6-12 months. At the bottom of it the thesis is quite simple – a big
part of BBX’s business, the Bluegreen timeshare, is being mostly ignored by the
market despite its improving business model and significant cash-flow
generating ability; while the BV is being under-marked. The complex corporate
structure, messed-up accounting, lack of sell-side coverage, and lack of
liquidity. The SOTP can be aptly summed up by the chart below:
There
is plenty of write-ups on this name upon googling; I urge you to go over them
and start a conversation. Next catalyst is the November lawsuit between
minority shareholders & BBX due to the BBX/BFCF merger, which I consider to
be silly (do you know that these law firms even try to block the Fiat /
Chrysler merger a few weeks back? Total idiots). Proforma the firm would be
around $500 mm and should warrant some cover + liquidity.
Vectrus (VEC): This is a pending
spin-off from Exelis that is going when-issued on Sep 16. While the spin-offs
these days get pretty crowded (haven’t you heard Event-Driven funds is all the
rage these days? They bid up all spin-offs like it’s hot shit without even
reading the 10-12B, I kid you not), the smaller ones that big sell-side shops
don’t look at (and not enough liquidity so hedge funds don’t touch) tend to do
pretty well (Veritiv, lands’ End, New Media, Straight Path). It’s all about how
crowded the pond at which one fishes. It’s likely that this Co prints at
~200-300 mm market cap and is about 1/10 the size of XLS with an odd-ball
18-to-1 ratio. Decent amount of debt @ 140 mm w/ 2-3x net debt / EBITDA but no
legacy pension issues. I think it has a good chance of being puked.
According
to their 10-12B, it “offer services in three major capability areas: “infrastructure
asset management, logistics and supply chain management, and information
technology and network communication services…our primary customer is the
Department of Defense…[with] 92% of the total revenue from the US Army…with
contracts from Afghanistan representing 34%, 34% and 27% of our overall revenue
in 2013-2011”.
So VEC
maintains toilets, camps, food, trucks, and headquarter stations for its single-customer
Uncle Sam, About 1/3 of their Revenue base rolling off to likely 0 within the
next 3 years, and EBITDA margin lingering around 4.5-5% that came down from
5-7%. Tough gig? Yes. The thing is, I think the business has a chance of settling
its revenue around 900 mm to 1 Bn run-rate judging by how the US government
spent its money:
And if
it does settle at around 1 Bn with no decay, let’s say it does 5 % EBITDA, that’s
50 mm EBITDA subject to almost no Capex & D&A. The flow-through to
unlevered-FCF is around 30-35 mm, and @ 10x FCF yield it’s worth around 325 mm
w/ debt. With the debt pay-down in a few years, I could realistically see the
business stabilizing at 300 mm market cap. If it prints at, let’s say, 100-150
mm, it might be worth taking a punt. But I don’t know, folks are pretty crazy
these days



No comments:
Post a Comment